Denver Lawyers Protect You Against Domestic Violence Accusations
Strong defenses for serious crimes
Being accused of domestic violence is serious. The charges can adversely affect your freedom, your home and your rights to custody and visitation with your own children. Although law enforcement intervention is necessary in some cases, the pendulum has swung too far, often putting innocent people in legal jeopardy based on statements made by their alleged victims.
Mulligan Breit, LLC has been aggressively representing defendants in the Colorado criminal justice system since 1994. Our criminal defense attorneys are former public defenders dedicated to seeking justice for our clients in the most challenging cases. We fight your domestic violence charges and help you get your life back on track.
Fighting a protective order in Colorado
Colorado’s civil and criminal courts have authority to issue protective orders. The law mandates issuance of a protective order until the resolution of domestic violence criminal proceedings.
The civil courts can initially issue a protective order based on the alleged victim’s petition and evidence presented at a first hearing. A second hearing gives you the opportunity to argue against the court making the restraining order permanent. The provisions concerning children expire in 120 days, but can be renewed.
A domestic injunction may force you to:
- Vacate your home
- Keep a certain distance from the victim’s home or work
- Refrain from contact with the victim
- Give up your firearms
- Forgo consuming alcohol
- Visit your kids only under supervision
- Obey any other terms ordered at the judge’s discretion
True victims of domestic violence may need the help of police officers. Sadly, however, the accused can become the victim of a family member who uses the system to inflict revenge or in a passionate moment of anger, such as:
- A heated argument that ends with your spouse or former lover picking up the telephone to report abuse that never happened
- The parent of your child falsely claiming assault as a tactic to win a contentious custody battle
- As an immature response to legitimate discipline, your young child making bitter complaints that are misinterpreted by a doctor, teacher or school official
Our law firm protects your rights when you are the victim of a damaging false accusation of domestic violence.
Let our attorneys take charge of your defense
To learn more about protecting your rights when facing domestic abuse allegations, call Mulligan Breit, LLC at 303.295.1500 or contact our firm online to schedule an appointment. To give you immediate and effective counsel, our criminal defense attorneys return your after-hours calls. Our downtown Denver law firm is centrally located and within walking distance of the main courts.